Sunday, July 3, 2011

The good that has come from our struggles: The GOOD in People

If you were to ask me if anything good has come out of our struggle with infertility, I'd say yes.  Of course, I'd rather just be able to have children easily, but at least I can see some good through all of this. 
I've always liked people, liked to be around people, saw the good in people...all that good stuff.  But, through this I have seen the GOOD in people, not just the good.  Many days I am overwhelmed with the outpouring of support that we have received from people, it brings me to tears just thinking about it.  The support gets us through, we may be going through a tough time that is difficult for people to understand, but we aren't doing it alone.  Instead of feeling bitter towards the world, I feel thankful that we are surrounded by so many caring people.  I hesitate writing about this because I don't want to seem like a big old bragger--"Look at me what what people do for me!"  And, I don't want people to read this and think, "Uh-oh, she expects me to do something extravagant for her!"  Rather,  I want to share that although this has been a tough experience (understatement), we have been blessed through it. 
Here's a small glimpse of the GOOD:
  • A woman I met in my Resolve support group recently had a baby.  One day I checked her Facebook page to see if she updated it with photos, no luck.  That night I got home and had mail from her, I opened it excitedly thinking it was a birth announcement.  Instead it was a sweet card telling me that she knows our baby would have been due soon and that she was thinking of me.  She's at home with a newborn, and she's sending me encouragement. 
  • My Cozy Urban Home cousins read about my recent miscarriage on this blog, flowers showed up the same day.  2 busy women taking the time out of their day to let me know they care.
  • Over a year ago, a friend at work had a miscarriage after the 12 week mark. Fortunately , she was able to get pregnant again, she and I were both expecting July 2011 babies (thankfully she had her baby recently!!).  Every week she checks on me, sends me thoughtful comments, reads this blog, and lets me know she is rooting for me.  She has a busy life, but takes time out to give me hope.
  • A plant showed up on our doorstep one day from an old friend....the plant was the flower from our wedding...one of my very favorites.  It's now planted in our back yard--a sign of hope to look at when we hang out in the yard.
  • Lots of hands helped with our adoption garage sale.  Two women spent over 12 hours helping me price items and set up the sale (one of them baked her awesome monster cookies and sold them for the cause).  Many donated items, so many!!  Another one gave me her garage space, another took the day off of work to run the sale with me.  We're prepping for another sale and friends have been generously dropping off stuff for the sale.  They are taking the time to go through their items and home and making an effort to help us out.
  • Our loss in January lead to an outpouring of support from co-workers, friends and family.  The women at work sent over an over the top care package with everything I love in it.  A friend that lives abroad thought that baking therapy may help and sent a whole grains cookbook.  Prepared meals were delivered.  My neighbor knew my mom was far away, so she came over just to give me a hug.
  • The random emails, calls, texts, blog notes and cards are so sweet, always surprise me and let me know that we WILL get through this and that we have good people thinking of and praying for us. 
  • A few girls have truly been through it ALL with me, listening to my ups and downs, everyday struggles and still listen, cry with me and love me just the same.
People are GOOD and we are fortunate to be the recipients of the good.  I can only hope that someday I will be able to show others how good people are.

No comments:

Post a Comment